Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Blog

I know the majority of bloggers for Bipolar disorder accept all ages, however, I feel that all of us over 50 years desrve one for just us. We deal with different issues then a 20 or 30 year ols and thats what I want to focus on with this blog. I have had my personal struggles as with all of us deal with any form of mental illness. yet, there are days I cant help but wonder am I feeling or acting this way because of the BP or is it really me. thats always a tough question to answer.
I live with a partner that deals with BP also so I do have a support system, plus I stay in therapy and on my many meds.
I also feel that because of the BP I have had a chance to recreate my life. I was an opitician and business owner before I got sick at 49 and I am now 57 so this illness had not surfaced for the most of my life. Yet, it gave me the oportunity to go to college at 50 and now I am working on a Masters.
I hope all who visits here will enjoy my honesty and will come back often
Peace to all
JB

3 comments:

  1. I am 54 and been diagnosed for almost 20 years. Had a terrible time of it with the manic highs back in the '90s and now I'm having a bad time with depression. I fight it all the time, even though I'm on two anti depressants and two mood stabilizers. Thanks for making this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dusty Lady
    Oh that depression is a killer. I battle with my BP as a ultra rapid cycler and I am in a mixed state 80% of the time. Plus on top of all this my anxiety is out of control. I hate that the most because it affects my time with the grandkids. If I am around the lil' one for even an hour I go into a panick attack. It is hard because of course they do not realize this, instaed they feel as if grandma doesn't care. That hurst but I have not found an anwer to the situation. It also makes it hard because at the moment one of my sons is living here and he has 3 little ones that cant come over for his weekends.
    Today I am dealing with a new issue my mother who is in a nursing home (had a stroke when she was 48) and is in comjected heart failure. This will be really tough she was not only my mother but one of my best friends. She has been totally a 2 to 3 person lift for the past few years because she lost all use of her legs. I took care of her after the stroke and after mt dad died I had her move in with me so we are very close. But this not knowing from day to day if today will be the day she dies is hard on me. I want to be there when she passes because my sister died alone and I do not want her to. I am sure this will add to my bag of mixed moods.
    But enough of that. Dusty how did you come to realize you had BP, I never showed any signs till 49, yet I can look back into my childhood and see a very lonely depressed inmature child. There are still many days I try to look back but I lack a large portion of my memory of my childhood which my therapist thinks is weird. It really bothers me so I am working on a thought journal esp. about my childhood.
    Today my mood is not to bad with all I am dealing with. I know my new antidepressant has finally worked. I no longer feel like an empty trash can.
    So
    I must thank you for visiting this blog, because I had no idea what I was doing only the ideathere was a need for one for people over 50. So if you have any suggestions that will help this blog please let me know
    Thanks
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just learned my mother is doing much better today. This has helped my stress level by far. I am not sure about the rest of you but due to my BP stress is my biggest enemy. Does it affect the rest of you as it does me (leaving toitaly unfunctionable)?

    ReplyDelete